domingo, 28 de marzo de 2010

My experience in the States 2





Well Irene, you are in a foreign country, with people that you have never seen in your life and it is time to stop laying in the bed and get up. It is 10.00 o'clock in the morning (I have slept during 10 hours). I went downstairs and Jackie's parents were having breakfast but there was no sign of Jackie. Her father (a tall and friendly man called ?) told me that she was on the conservatory of New York because she plays the guitar there (Oh my god! What a level and how much money must the have?!).
We would go to New York to pick up her at 20.00 and at the same time the father would show me the famous city. The plan sounded good but I could not remedy the fact that I was scared.
Everything was becoming increasingly rare when Jackie's mother (I am sorry but I could not remember her name although she is a nice woman) told me that we would go to the Saddle River Park with two of the Jackie's sisters, Nikki and Sam. We would take the bikes and go through the park as we were characters of the famous Spanish series called 'Verano azul'.
I was very surprised but the experience was really good and I loved that day, every single minute of it. I fell in love with all of the Saddle River Park and then the father bought us the best vanilla ice cream that I have ever tasted, seriously, it was delicious.
After being in the park we went home and the father and I, traveled to New York to pick up Jackie. In the way we were talking and he was asking me some things about Spain, our traditions, my family, my city and more. He showed that he is an smart man.
Once we were in the city, we walked a little and he took me to a place that I wanted to be because I saw it in so many films and it seemed beautiful. The place, in fact, is Central Park. It was better than I imagined it. There were people playing football (well, American football or rugby), clowns, jugglers, bands singings and a lot of delight.
When it started getting dark and was time to meet with Jackie, we went to the conservatory. On the way, we passed through Broadway and elsewhere. I looked a little girl because I was looking at everything mouth open, bright eyes and thinking I was the star of an American film.
On Sunday the day was very, very strange. I only need to say that the family took me to pick up Macintosh apples in a field. Yes, it is completely true. I looked like a monkey when I climbed up the trees to take the apples.
There were more people apart from us and the day was funny.
On the way home I saw a town of Jewish people. They wore their traditional clothes, hair and hat. It was odd for me because I have never seen Jews dressed like that. The children were really cute.
When I arrived home I was tired but we had a party in the house of one American girl of the exchange.
I do not know what they think of a party or pizza-party is, but there is no resemblance to what I think. The best thing was to prove the jacuzzi, but I did not have my bikini because my baggage was lost so I had to fix it (I went into the jacuzzi with a long shirt that I had brought me on purpose so I could get on with no problem.
We went at 23.00 (it seemed to be that for them it is too late for a Sunday but for me it was too early, bit I did not say anything because I was in a foreign country and I am a polite person and also I was tired).





My partners and I went to New York. We visited the Metropolitan Museum, the MOMA, Central Park, the Sixth Avenue, Wall Street, the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Broadway, etc.
It was an interesting travel and I liked it.
We did a lot of things but right know I do not remember a lot, only the most important and those that surprised me.
I clearly remember the second weekend that I was in the States. I do not know why but I went with another family. It was the richest family of the exchange. They had a strange house full of white statues of marble. It was too creepy for me. By the other hand the family (specially the mother) was nice.
They invited me to attend to a musical called Thirteen in Broadway. I was exited and I really loved it. Then man that was sitting beside me looked at me weird, maybe because I was so happy.
At lunchtime, more or less at 12, they took us to a restaurant which I think is very famous in the United States. It's called Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde. There, they served huge burgers that are delicious further that the décor is quite original, or at least not like any restaurant that I had seen earlier, as part of the spectacle of the place. Those who worked there tried to scare all the time, and the strangest thing was to find a Spanish waiter that started talking to us (we were all girls) he described his whole live and ask ourselves what we were doing there.
Later, we strolled around town and we went shopping. We enter to the most expensive shops of Manhattan just to take a view. There was also a big M&M'S store and a three-floor sweets store. In this one there were chewing gums, candy, chocolate bars, jellies, lollipops, cakes and more sweet stuff. And for every kind of sweet there were a lot of variations. It was like being in the chocolate factory of Willy Wonka.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario